25 November 2007

30k for Coach? How Coach has lost what used to make them awesome.




If you've been in a Coach store or have been on their website in the past few months, you've noticed that Coach is trying to rework their image. They've jacked up the prices of a lot of their bags to "better compete with more high-end bags".




I went into the Coach store with my mom on Black Friday. Seeing how it was Coach, we obviously didn't see any deals or anything. I guess that makes you seem high-class?(Which makes no sense, because Gucci was offering 10% off. Well, that might be because they haven't put out a good bag in ages.)




Regardless, we walked around and looked at a few things. My mom saw a bag that she liked, but it only came in two sizes - enormous and too small to be practical. Whatever happened to medium? The other bag she liked was almost $600. Really Coach, if I have $600 to blow on a bag, I'm not going to buy Coach.It's not even a snob thing, I just wouldn't do it.I'm not wealthy in the least bit, but I have two Coach bags and a small Coach wristlet. I got all of them as birthday presents on consecutive years (14, 15, 16). All of them were under $250.$250 is a lot of money for a purse. Some people in some parts of the world would spend $250 to feed their family in an entire year. But $250 is reachable. You don't have to donate a kidney or skip eating for a month. It's expensive but affordable.That's what made Coach nice. You could have a very nice bag for a reasonable amount of money. Expensive? Yes. Unreasonable? No. What's going on with Coach is that they're trying to compete with Louis Vuitton and Chanel and Dior and all the big boys. That's not going to happen.




If you haven't noticed, Coach has recently released a $30,000 bag. THIRTY THOUSAND. Not three thousand. THIRTY thousand. It's super exclusive. You can't buy it in stores or even order it online. You have to call them up and arrange it.Some people earn $30,000 in one year. That's the tuition money for some colleges.




I would never spend 30k on a bag, but I bet that the biggest bag snobs wouldn't spend 30k on Coach.Why?Because people simply don't associate big and expensive with Coach. People associate "awesome quality but affordable" with Coach. And really, if you did have 30k to spend on a bag, you wouldn't be buying Coach. You'd be buying Hermes because Hermes is famous and exclusive and the cheapest thing in the entire store is a $120 fabric scarf. As much as I love(d) Coach, I think they'll sell maybe 5 of these things to a few Paris Hilton types and end up writing the rest off their taxes as a loss. They also have bags for 20k and 10k, and I doubt those will sell either.
Please Coach, go back to what made you awesome. I've wanted a new Coach bag for a while, but it's either $700 or patchwork and I just can't do that.

No comments: